Music Memories: My First Concert with Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine

My music memories shifted to "concerts", his Sunday night, and of remembering my joy at attending live concerts here in Singapore, back in the heady days where I'd indulge in my personal passions - all pre-30s, mind - and not let the pall of WORK engulf my life, as it did the later part after my workalife leading to my Stroke in 2010, aged 41. I have barely attended a concert in a built-up venue ever since, not counting my open air enjoyment of Swingout Sister in 2009 (pre-Stroke :p).

I could easily count the concerts I've attended through the years though: including Depeche Mode, Janet Jackson, Sting, Pet Shop Boys, Power Station, but on my mind this Sunday night, was Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine = My First Ever Concert Attended!

Held at one of the halls at the World Trade Center (now where Vivo City megamall sits) back in 1987/88, with my very first girlfriend then, whom I met from work (in the three months waiting for my 'O'Level results, I found work in a pizzeria - I was in the kitchen, while she was a waitress). I chose not to evoke her name now as I am wholly unsure if she'd want to remain in my memories, so....

Based on records listed in the Wikipedia, this would more likely be part of her (1987-1988) "Let It Loose" World Tour, when they toured South East Asia ... featured below is the concert set list too! As well I've embedded a few music videos and audio tracks to share - essentially the basic hits, because I'm a "basic kinda dude" lah :p

1. Conga (Intro)
2. Hot Summer Nights
3. Bad Boy*
4. Primitive Love
5. Surrender
6. Let It Loose
7. Baila Conmigo/A Toda Maquina/Dingui-Li-Bangui (Medley)
8. Falling in Love (Uh-Oh)*
9. Words Get in the Way*
10. No Sera Facil/Me Enamore/Renacer (Medley)
11. 1-2-3*
12. Rhythm Is Gonna Get You*
13. Conga*
14. Betcha Say That*
15. Anything For You*








To bo honest, I was not a huge fan of the singer then, having only heard "Bad Boys" and "Conga" on the radio, and it was more likely a chance of dating, but I fell for the music real quick - the electrifying atmosphere, the crowd of like-minded folks, here to enjoy the music, and our singalongs drowning out the shitshow of a world outside the concert venue doors, was intoxicating. And so was my date lah. In my addled memories, "Anything For You" was our song at the end of the concert lah :)

Even now, the tune still overwhelms me, and brings me to the edge of silent tears, as it inevitably reminded me of my lack as good boyfriend then.

Besides the lingering sob-story, I remembered very distinctively the concert seats were shaking and not solid-bolted to the floor (as I'd imagine "concerts seats" would have been), but realised that there were portable/mobile fold-out seating modules, and felt amazed that such a thing could happen - filling up a space with usable and practical purposes LOL

Nevertheless, back to the music ... we did not stay long together as a couple enough to have our picture taken together, and neither did I keep the concert ticket ("I Am A Hoarder", or to be fair; "I Have Become A Hoarder"), but for the faint memories of the songs, and the shaking concert seating ...

Have a good Sunday evening, folks :)

Comments

Popular Posts