The Best of "Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark" (Full Album Listen)

Finding this album (in a secret stash of other albums) was such a treat and such "tragedy" was well, because my eternal CD player is busted, so I've no choice but to seek solace via YouTube, and here we are today...!



"OMD" is short for "Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark" = an English electronic band formed in Wirral, Merseyside in 1978. Wiki starts that they are "Regarded as pioneers of electronic music, OMD combined an experimental, minimalist ethos with pop sensibilities, becoming central figures in the late 1970s/early 1980s emergence of synth-pop." = and I couldn't agree more.

The Best of OMD is a compilation album released in 1988 (Wiki); comprising songs from their albums:

- Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (1980)
- Organisation (1980)
- Architecture & Morality (1981)
- Dazzle Ships (1993)
- Junk Culture (1984)
- Crush (1985) - Pretty in Pink (OST for 1986 film)
- The Pacific Age (1986)



I am struggling to remember which particular song of their I heard first - more likely on the radio - and I backtracked their discography via magazines (no tangible internet back in the mid-80s, thanks), but remembered vividly jumping unto their 1985 album "Crush" religiously...! I also somewhat remembered that their songs represented neither negativity (I remembered anyways) nor anything specifically "happy", but enjoyed them for only their music, and these days, that is GOLD in my book.

This "Best Of" album is a slice of a #SoundtrackofMyLife, indeed!



1. Electricity
2. Messages
3. Enola Gay
4. Souvenir
5. Joan of Arc
6. Maid of Orleans
7. Telegraph
8. Tesla Girls
9. Locomotion
10. Talking Loud and Clear
11. So In Love
12. Secret
13. If You Leave
14. Forever Live And Die
15. Dreaming
16. Genetic Engineering
17. We Love You (12" Version)
18. La Femme Accident (12" Version)





































BUY ON AMAZON:


I'd also discovered I have their 1993 album "Liberator", and having heard select songs on YT, realised that the "past" was indeed glorious, and that perhaps it is time to move on, at least Fromm "Liberator", sorry.

Comments

Popular Posts