"Philtre" (2005) by Nitin Sawhney (Full Album Listen)



Instinctively labelled as "World Music", only because it contained non-Western "exotic" sounds, has always been a situation that had gnawed at my waking dreams for far too long as I had been a grump (similarly when movie trailers are labelled "International Trailers" because they are non-American) ... but it has been a term somewhat engrained in my subconsciousness ... and while there are "World Music" worthy of its classification, I;'ve always felt the soundscape of Nitin Sawhney both exemplifies it, and expands beyond it so.



My first experience with British musician, producer and composer Nitin Sawhney was with "Nadia", and while I have no memory of WHERE I hear this, I knew I attempted to track down his album(s) (not as actively as I could, being distracted by far too many sounds :p), and the only time I was successful, was this sole 2005 album "Philtre".



I remembered where I bought this (a now defunct record shop next to Capitol Building I remembered not the name of :p), and remembered buying this while not having listened to the songs inside, but for my experience listening to "Nadia"! Ah yes, those were the days I could afford such extravagance ... *wishful-sigh*

My memories of the 17-listed tracks was only awakened while prepping this blog-feature, listening as I cut--paste the embed code, and remembering then again, making this post-rain balmy Saturday a fruitful one, methinks...!

Alas with finding the CD album (amidst a stash not seen for far too long in my hoard lol),my external CD/DVD-player is busted, so it's YouTube to the sonic-rescue! You can ask well listen to this online here on Spotify.



TRACKLIST:
01. Everything
02. Spark
03. Dead Man
04. Rag Doll
05. Mausam
06.Journey
07. Void
08. Koyal (Songbird)
09. Noches En Vela (Part 1)
10. Noches En Vela (Part 2)
11. Mirage
12. Throw
13. Flipside
14. Brainwaves
15. Footprints
16. The Search
17. Sanctuary



"Nitin Sawhney CBE (/ˈnɪtɪn ˈsɔːni/; born 1964) is a , as well as former comic actor. A recipient of the Ivor Novello Lifetime Achievement award in 2017, his work combines Asian and other worldwide influences with elements of jazz and electronica and often explores themes such as multiculturalism, politics, and spirituality. Sawhney is also active in the promotion of arts and cultural matters, and is a patron of numerous film festivals, venues, and educational institutions." (wiki)


BUY ON AMAZON:

Comments

Popular Posts