My Top Ten 80s Songs (Vol.3) To The #SoundtrackofMyLife


Look, it had to be done. THIS list needed to exist, even of it meant bringing down my (non-existent) street-cred (Reads even more ridiculous when I typed it out versus thinking about it :p) ... even if it might have been too early in the game to post this, but... I also want to have a bit of fun, and quite frankly, that's all it should be!

So here are songs from the 80s that some might be considered kitschy (I'll let you decide for yourselves which), while some are gems in my ears and eyes! And while some were inspired by Zouk's "MAMBO-JUMBO" themed Wednesday nights, I've never actually experienced them in person myself MAUHAHAHAHA



German duo Modern Talking had quite a few Euro-tinged gems from the era (that could decently fill a short dedicated blog-post), but ultimately "You're My Heart, You're My Soul" wins thru! BONUS POINTS if you recognize the "Yamaha, Yamaso"-reference (:p). And you might want to scroll to the bottom of this blogpost for a little "surprise"...! According to their Wiki, Modern Talking broke up in 2003.



I've only ever heard "Talking in Your Sleep" from American rock band The Romantics, but they are still making music until today. "CLASSIC 80s", as far as I am concerned, that actually might sound more "timeless", than "dated", IMHO.



The song "Tarzan Boy" by Italian-based act Baltimora is the poster boy for the aforementioned "Mambo-Jumbo", with legend talking about the multiple dance and hand-gestures folks enact when the song was played, and admittedly, I used to snigger about this notion (although I have not seen it in person), but the reality is it gave the crowd a chance to "dance as one" - regardless of your standing and who you might be outside the club doors - and in Singapore, that is quite a rarity, IMHO.

And to be fair, I am one of those outside the door, not necessarily invited to the party in the first place LOL



"Self Control" by the late Laura Branigan featured her powerful vocals and heavy glam-rock beat (different from her disco-vibing "Gloria") really pumped up the mood! According to her Wiki, she passed away in August 2004.



Austrian singer, musician, and songwriter AKA "Falco" had a few gems in the 80s, chief of which was "Rock Me Amadeus" (Seen above). Interestingly, his song "Der Kommissar" was re-recorded by the band After The Fire (scroll down) and became a hit. Sadly, Falco passed away on 1998 (Read more on Wiki).



Originally released in 1983, "I Like Chopin" by Italian singer, songwriter and record producer Gazebo, and quite frankly I own and enjoyed still his album! Gazebo performs til this day.





I've actually had an opportunity to witness Alphaville (which I assumed to be the original band members) in concert in the early-2000s, when they performed at a disco (courtesy of an invite by a friend), and quite frankly it was a thrill to hear them perform "Big In Japan", and other familiar hits such as "Forever Young", "Sounds Like a Melody" and "The Jet Set"!

I've never really gotten to know the German band beyond their songs, actually. Their most recent album "Strange Attractor " was released in 2017 (Wiki).



I just realised, as I was researching information for the bands in this list, that a lot of them were "German"-bands. Wiki says that "Bad Boys Blue are a multinational pop group that was formed in Cologne, Germany." The band still performs this day with "Tears Turning To Ice" being the latest studio album to be released in 2020.



Wow. I didn't know this ... according to Wiki, "Blue System was a German pop group that was founded by Dieter Bohlen in 1986 after the break-up of Modern Talking". The track "Magic Symphony" (above video) was apart of their 1989 album "Twilight".



"After the Fire (or ATF) were a British rock band that transitioned from playing progressive rock to new wave over their initial ten-year career, while having only one hit in the United States ("Der Kommissar") and one hit in the United Kingdom ("One Rule for You")." (Wiki)

Hope you folks enjoyed this lil'audio trip down an aspect of the 80s ... and I'll end with a BONUS MV of Modern Talking performing the New 2017 Version of "You're My Heart You're My Soul"...!

Comments

Popular Posts