(G)I-DLE Performances for QUEENDOM (2019)



I had intended to do a QUEENDOM-throwback for Oh MY Girl next (after MAMAMOO), before delving in the next girl group... but the teaser for "I NEVER DIE" dropped, and I HAD to devote my throwback today to (G)I-DLE!

Featured above is a compilation video of ALL their performances fpor Queendom in a single watch, if you decide not to scroll thru for the performance breakdowns and my personal ramblings LOL



Dubbed the "monster rookie of 2018" in Kpop, the South Korean girl group originally consisted of 6 members: Miyeon, Minnie, Soyeon, Yuqi, Shuhua and Soojin - the last member of which left the group (due to a bullying controversy). You will see her prominently on-stage in the following videos, as she apart of the group throughout their performances on Queendom. She was also the representative of the group in the Performance Unit.

(G)I-DLE Official YouTube
twitter.com/G_I_DLE
facebook.com/G.I.DLE.CUBE
instagram.com/official_g_i_dle
(G)I-DLE Official Weibo
(G)I-DLE Official Fansite


All info featured here is based off katherinedoeskpop.com (who has the most detailed breakdown of (G)I-DLE's performance!), plus basic info structure found on g-idle.fandom.com.

I am not a thorough avid listener of (G)I-DLE, much less a "Nevies", of their fan club name "Neverland", so I apologise in advance if my descriptions are inaccurate. ONWARDS!







1st Preliminary Performance:
"Each group performs one of their hit songs in their usual stage."

(G)I-DLE performed a remixed version of their 2018 single "LATATA" (from their debut extended play/album "I Am").
The opening Thai voice-over by Minnie was as haunting, and a somewhat precursor of the mood and tone that greeted us in 2020's "Oh My God", IMHO.

A QUEEN'S STORY - BEHIND FEATURE (No English Subs):









2nd Preliminary Performance:
"Each group performs a cover song for their Queendom stage."

The girls covered "Fire" by 2NE1 (Park Bom was a contestant for Queendom / check out the "behind feature" posted below). So there is a precedence for groups covering the discography of the performer(s) previous releases (Online chatter had recently been questioning the validity of newly formed groups announced to be apart of Queendom 2).

A QUEEN'S STORY - BEHIND FEATURE (No English Subs):







3rd Preliminary Performance (Part 1/2):
"Each group will send their main dancer (Soojin) who will be in the performace unit and their main vocalist to be in the vocal unit. The vocal unit is trying to gain points for their unit and the performance unit is trying to gain points for their original group."



Unit Peformances (VOCAL):
As seen in the video performance above, Minnie (who had been chosen over Miyeon) paired with Hyejeong from AOA, and they performed a cover of "Instagram" by Dean (Watch OG 2018 MV here).




Unit Peformances (DANCE):
Soojin represented (G)I-DLE, and along with each main/lead dance from each participating girl group, each performed their own routine, and subsequently came together to perform in a singular routine - in this case they performed to "Power" by Little Mix (see video posted below).

Soojin performed to "Senorita" by Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello (see above clip and fancam).









3rd Preliminary Performance (Part 2/2):
"Fan-dora’s Box" is where the groups perform to a (rearranged) song selected by their fans.

The "Nightmare Version" performed by (G)I-DLE (see video above) of "Put It Straight" (from their second extended play "I Made" circa 2019).

If you had not been convinced by (G)I-DLE's stage performances by thenm the moment when the camera closes-up on Soojin wiping her lipstick off (I think all of the girls did tho), and you see Soojin quivering her lips emoting to the song/luyrics, you'd recognize what we re seeing is different for "just covering songs and dances", IMHO.

A QUEEN'S STORY (No English subs):


This version of the song was subsequently covered in dance by multiple folks (as seen on YouTube), that I had a slightly harder time to find the original audio for the track here.

(G)I-DLE uploaded a "Halloween Ver. Choreography Video" (Watch here), which no doubt helped continue the fuel the viral success of the track.

A show like Queendom allows the girl groups to experiment beyond their norms, and that alone is exciting for even casual viewers like me. And one thing which I enjoyed and appreciated more about Queendom over Kingdom, was the sheer "performance" aspect, versus the usage of sets and story that overwhelm the stages (in Kingdom) morphiong it into a "theatrical stage". Sure, the overall entertainment value goes up, but personally for me, I'm more jazzed about "performance" versus "props".

I'll get off my soapbox now, cheers :)







Finale
"Each group will perform a newly produced song. The group who gets the most votes gets and added 50,000 points."

The song (G)I-DLE performed with the legendary stage for "LION" (above), while they released a official MV for subsequently (below). And featured below that is a behind-the-scenes for the making of "Lion" - all hail Jeon Sooyeon!



BEHIND "LION" (With English Subs):



BONUS - (G)I-DLE VLOG:

Comments

Popular Posts