WAKE ME UP BEFORE YOU WHAM!

I never was what you might call "a fashionable teen". Of course I tried, but constantly and consistently failed miserably (althyough back then, I thought "I was da sh*t, yo"! ... sorry, what's that foul burpedtaste in my mouth? lol), forever locked away in the waking dungeon of "life", and probably will remain til my passing breathe, but that's another woe-is-me-story for another time, another virtual place ... one aspect of 80s-fashion I had latched unto, was "white-tees-with-large-black-words".

I remembered first seeing that in WHAM!'s "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" music video - loved the song, and loved the simplicity of the statement too: "CHOSE LIFE"... alongside FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD's message tees "RELAX" / "FRANKIE SAYS RELAX" etc were tees I'd longed to own, but chose not to pay the exorbitant prices for, back in the day, remembering opting for much cheaper and thus inferior options, that frankly spoke nothing of the message that was worth speaking of, or be associated with speaking about, back in the day. And truthfully, it was less of WHAT the actual message was, but for the "trending" aesthetics then. WTF did I know what "Choose Life" meant back when I was a sheltered and ignorant teen in the 80s? As easy as I could google it NOW, back then in the 80s? Just follow what looked cool ~ LOL

But I never really was a "cool kid", and even until now, I do not own a single piece of garmet that positively reminded me of my teens.

Ironically, decades later, there was a time where I was nearly on the verge of having a capsule collection of printed tees associated with my toy-blog "TOYSREVIL", and guess what message would be on one of the designed-tees? Alas, that collaboration ultimately fell thru, as I had a Stroke, and missed "the timing" then, as much as I reckon I'd missed the "fashionable 80s trend" with the "CHOOSE LIFE"-tees.

My current unrequited dream tee: "STROKELIFE", but perhaps it is as morose as self-indulgent a message :p



WHO-ARE: "Wham!" were an English pop duo formed in 1981, comprising the late George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley. WHAM broke up in 1986, leaving behind a discography of classic 80s tunes, which transcended timelines, including "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" and "Last Christmas". Featured below is a selection of my fav Top Ten Eleven MVs!

Michael died from heart and liver disease at his home in Goring-on-Thames, Oxfordshire on Christmas Day 2016. He was 53. (Source) His songs impacted a huge part of my Soundtrack to Life... but that'll be another list in another post(s).

(All MVs via youtube.com/user/Whamtv)























BUY ON U.S.AMAZON:

Comments

Popular Posts